COVID-19 Emergency Assistance Program
July 10, 2020
The Ontario Government has introduced the COVID-19 Emergency Assistance Program (“CEAP”) to provide a one-time, on bill credit to electricity and natural gas consumers who have experienced hardship because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Applications for CEAP will start being accepted on July 13, 2020. Click Here to Download Application
Eligibility for CEAP:
Residential Electricity Customers are eligible for CEAP of they meet the following criteria:
1. Consumer must have an account with WDI. Only the account holder(s) can submit an application for the CEAP.
2. Customer had no overdue amount on their electricity bill in respect of electricity charges on March 17, 2020, the date the Provincial Emergency was declared, and the account was not enrolled in the OEB prescribed Arrears Payment Agreement (AMP) or other payment plans for amounts owing for electricity charges prior to March 17th.
3. As of the date the customer is applying, there are overdue amounts owing from at least two electricity bills since March 17, 2020.
4. The customer has not received Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP) or Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) grants in 2020.
5. The customer or the customer’s spouse/common-law partner (who must share the same address with the customer):
· Is unemployed at the time of the CEAP application, and;
· Qualified for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) or;
· Received Employment Insurance (EI) after March 17, 2020.
CEAP Credit per Customer
Each eligible electricity customer would qualify for:
a) CEAP credit equal to the amount necessary to settle 50% of the total overdue balance of electricity charges or $115, whichever is less, OR
b) CEAP credit equal to the amount necessary to settle the total overdue balance of the electricity charges or $230, whichever is less if the customer’s home is mainly electrically heated or someone in the customer’s home relies on one of the following at-home medical devices: Kidney Dialysis Machine, Mechanical Ventilators, Oxygen Concentrator.