Financial Assistance Programs That Can Help!
If you have difficulty paying your electricity bills, there are financial assistance programs available.
Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)
This emergency assistance is available to residential customers who are behind on their bill – or in arrears – and may face having their electricity service disconnected.
- It is a one-time emergency payment of up to $500 ($600 for electrically heated homes) per calendar year, which is automatically credited to your electricity bill.
- Customers who receive CEAP are still eligible for LEAP. Apply for LEAP after CEAP.
- Eligibility depends on how many people live in your house and the combined household income. The household’s income must be at or below the Statistics Canada Low-Income Measure (LIM), after tax, to qualify for assistance. The Ontario Child Benefit, Canada Child Benefit, and Universal Child Care Benefit are excluded when calculating income eligibility.
- Payments will not exceed the current outstanding balance on your bill, and you may not receive the full amount of the grant.
- To apply, contact us or call 705-429-2517
Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP)
The OESP is a monthly credit of between $35 and $75 applied directly to your electricity bill.
- The monthly credit amount is based on combined household income and the number of people living in your home.
- For customers with electrical heating, or that rely on approved medical devices that require large amounts of electricity, a higher level of assistance is available.
- You must apply to the program to receive the OESP credit. To apply or to find out if you qualify, visit OntarioElectricitySupport.ca or call 1-855-831-8151.
- Applications can take anywhere between four to six weeks to process. If you qualify, the credit will appear directly on your electricity bill as soon as possible after you are approved.
- Most eligible customers need to re-apply every two years or whenever their personal circumstances change.
Home Assistance Program (HAP)
Free energy-efficiency upgrades for eligible homeowners, tenants and social housing providers, as well as an in-home energy assessment to help uncover more ways to save.
- Available upgrades include ENERGY STAR®- certified LED light bulbs, power bars with timers, high-efficiency showerheads (standard and handheld), aerators (kitchen and bathroom), drying racks, an energy-efficient refrigerator, and a window air
- Electrically heated homes also qualify for additional attic or basement insulation, weather-stripping around doors and windows, and smart thermostats.
- Eligibility is based on the combined household income and how many people live in your home.
- For more information about how to participate, visit SaveonEnergy.ca or call 1-855-591-0877.
Equal Payment/Budget Plan (EPP)
An Equal Payment/Budget Plan (EPP) allows you to spread your annual electricity costs evenly throughout the year for easier budgeting and a more predictable monthly bill. Contact us to find out more information.
Arrears Management Program
If you need more time to pay outstanding balances in order to avoid disconnection, contact us to discuss the program and see if you qualify
Please Contact Us or call 705-429-2517 if you require additional information on current rebates and financial assistance.