Seven Financial Assistance Programs That Can Help!
If you have difficulty paying your electricity bills, there are financial assistance programs available.
COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program
A one-time, on-bill credit available to customers who are experiencing hardship
due to COVID-19.
- The one-time emergency payment is made directly to your
electricity bill of up to $115.
- For customers with electrical heating or that rely on approved medical devices that required large amounts of electricity, a higher level of assistance is available.
- On the date they apply, customers must have overdue amounts owing for electricity charges from at least two electricity bills since March 17, 2020.
- Customer must have had no overdue amount on their electricity bill on March 17, 2020, and the account was not enrolled in an arrears payment agreement (APA) or any other payment plans for amounts owing prior to March 17, 2020.
- Customer can not have received Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP) or Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) grants in 2020.
Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)
This emergency assistance is available to residential customers who are behind on their bill – or in arrears – and may face having their electricity service disconnected.
- It is a one-time emergency payment of up to $500 ($600 for electrically heated homes) per calendar year, which is automatically credited to your electricity bill.
- Customers who receive CEAP are still eligible for LEAP. Apply for LEAP after CEAP.
- Eligibility depends on how many people live in your house and the combined household income. The household’s income must be at or below the Statistics Canada Low-Income Measure (LIM), after tax, to qualify for assistance. The Ontario Child Benefit, Canada Child Benefit, and Universal Child Care Benefit are excluded when calculating income eligibility.
- Payments will not exceed the current outstanding balance on your bill, and you may not receive the full amount of the grant.
- To apply, contact us or call 705-429-2517
Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP)
The OESP is a monthly credit of between $35 and $75 applied directly to your electricity bill.
- The monthly credit amount is based on combined household income and the number of people living in your home.
- For customers with electrical heating, or that rely on approved medical devices that require large amounts of electricity, a higher level of assistance is available.
- You must apply to the program to receive the OESP credit. To apply or to find out if you qualify, visit OntarioElectricitySupport.ca or call 1-855-831-8151.
- Applications can take anywhere between four to six weeks to process. If you qualify, the credit will appear directly on your electricity bill as soon as possible after you are approved.
- Most eligible customers need to re-apply every two years or whenever their personal circumstances change.
Home Assistance Program (HAP)
Free energy-efficiency upgrades for eligible homeowners, tenants and social housing providers, as well as an in-home energy assessment to help uncover more ways to save.
- Available upgrades include ENERGY STAR®- certified LED light bulbs, power bars with timers, high-efficiency showerheads (standard and handheld), aerators (kitchen and bathroom), drying racks, an energy-efficient refrigerator, and a window air
- Electrically heated homes also qualify for additional attic or basement insulation, weather-stripping around doors and windows, and smart thermostats.
- Eligibility is based on the combined household income and how many people live in your home.
- For more information about how to participate, visit SaveonEnergy.ca or call 1-855-591-0877.
Affordability Fund Trust
Free energy-saving upgrades to eligible residential customers who do not qualify for low-income financial assistance programs.
- If you pay an electricity bill in Ontario, you qualify.
- You will receive one of three energy efficiency improvement packages. The level of support will vary based on your after tax income and average electricity bill.
- Depending on the level of support, you may receive an in-home visit from a Home Energy Advisor, a Home Energy Plan and upgrades that include ENERGY STAR® appliances, insulation, and/or an ENERGY STAR® heat pump.
- You can self-enroll online at AffordabilityFund.org or call
**This program will stop accepting new applications as of July 31, 2020.
Equal Payment/Budget Plan (EPP)
An Equal Payment/Budget Plan (EPP) allows you to spread your annual electricity costs evenly throughout the year for easier budgeting and a more predictable monthly bill. Contact us to find out more information.
Arrears Management Program
If you need more time to pay outstanding balances in order to avoid disconnection, contact us to discuss the program and see if you qualify
Please Contact Us or call 705-429-2517 if you require additional information on current rebates and financial assistance.